- Indian Penal Code, 1860: Bare Act
- CHAPTER I: INTRODUCTION
- Section-3. Punishment of offences committed beyond but which by law may be tried within India.
- Section-4. Extension of Code to extra-territorial offences.
- Section-5. Certain laws not to be affected by this Act.
CHAPTER II : GENERAL EXPLANATIONS
- Section-6. Definitions in the Code to be understood subject to exceptions.
- Section-7. Sense of expression once explained.
- Section-23. “Wrongful gain”.
- Section-24. “Dishonestly”.
- Section-25. “Fraudulently”.
- Section-26. “Reason to believe”.
- Section-27. Property in possession of wife, clerk or servant.
- Section-28. “Counterfeit”.
- Section-29. “Document”.
- Section-29A. “Electronic record”.
- Section-31. “A will”.
- Section-32. Words referring to acts include illegal omissions.
- Section-33. “Act”, “Omission”.
- Section-34. Acts done by several persons in furtherance of common intention.
- Section-35. When such an act is criminal by reason of its being done with a criminal knowledge or intention.
- Section-36. Effect caused partly by act and partly by omission.
- Section-37. Co-operation by doing one of several acts constituting an offence.
- Section-38. Persons concerned in criminal act may be guilty of different offences.
- Section-39. “Voluntarily”.
- Section-40. “Offence”.
- Section-43. “Illegal”, “Legally bound to do”.
- Section-44. “Injury”.
- Section-52. “Good faith”.
- Section-52A. “Harbour”.
CHAPTER III : OF PUNISHMENTS
- Section-53. Punishment.
- Section-63. Amount of fine.
- Section-65. Limit to imprisonment for non-payment of fine, when imprisonment and fine awardable.
- Section-67. Imprisonment for non-payment of fine, when offence punishable with fine only.
- Section-68. Imprisonment to terminate on payment of fine.
- Section-69. Termination of imprisonment on payment of proportional part of fine.
- Section-70. Fine leviable within six years or during imprisonment-Death not to discharge property from liability.
- Section-71. Limit of punishment of offence made up of several offences.
- Section-72. Punishment of person guilty of one of several offences, the judgment stating that it is doubtful of which.
- Section-73. Solitary confinement.
- Section-74. Limit of solitary confinement.
- Section-75. Enhanced punishment for certain offences under Chapter XII or Chapter XVII after previous conviction.
CHAPTER IV : GENERAL EXCEPTIONS
- Section-76. Act done by a person bound, or by mistake of fact believing himself bound, by law.
- Section-79. Act done by a person justified, or by mistake of fact believing himself justified, by law.
- Section-80. Accident in doing a lawful act.
- Section-81. Act likely to cause harm, but done without criminal intent, and to prevent other harm.
- Section-83. Act of a child above seven and under twelve of immature understanding.-
- Section-84. Act of a person of-unsound mind.
- Section-85. Act of a person incapable of judgment by reason of intoxication caused against his will.
- Section-86. Offence requiring a particular intent or knowledge committed by one who is intoxicated.
- Section-87. Act not intended and not known to be likely to cause death or grievous hurt, done by consent.
- Section-88. Act not intended to cause death, done by consent in good faith for person’s benefit.
- Section-90. Consent known to be given under fear or misconception.
- Section-92. Act done in good faith for benefit of a person without consent.
- Section-93. Communication made in good faith.
- Section-94. Act to which a person is compelled by threats.
- Section-95. Act causing slight harm.
- Section-96. Right of private defence of the body and of property.
- Section98. Right of private defence against the act of a person of unsound mind, etc.-
- Section-100. When the right of private defence of the body extends to causing death.
- Section-102. Commencement and continuance of the right of private defence of the body.
- Section-105. Commencement and continuance of the right of private defence of property.
CHAPTER V : OF ABETMENT
- Section-107. Abetment of a thing.
- Section-108. Abettor.
- Section-108A. Abetment in India of offences outside India.
- Section-115. Abetment of offence punishable with death or imprisonment for life–if offence not committed.
- Section-116. Abetment of offence punishable with imprisonment–if offence be not committed.
- Section-117. Abetting commission of offence by the public or by more than ten persons.-
- Section-119. Public servant concealing design to commit offence which it is his duty to prevent.
- Section-120. Concealing design to commit offence punishable with imprisonment.-
CHAPTER VA : CRIMINAL CONSPIRACY
- Section-120A. Definition of criminal conspiracy.
- Section-120B. Punishment of criminal conspiracy.
Chapter VI : Of Offences Against The State
- Section-121. Waging, or attempting to wage war, or abetting waging of war, against the Government of India .
- Section-121A. Conspiracy to commit offences punishable by section 121.
- Section-122. Collecting arms, etc., with intention of waging war against the Government of India.
- Section-123. Concealing with intent to facilitate design to wage war.
CHAPTER VIII : OF OFFENCES AGAINST THE PUBLIC TRANQUILLITY
- Section-141. Unlawful assembly.
- Section-142. Being member of unlawful assembly.
- Section-143. Punishment.
- Section-144. Joining unlawful assembly armed with deadly weapon.
- Section-145. Joining or continuing in unlawful assembly, knowing it has been commanded to disperse.
- Section-146. Rioting.
- Section-147. Punishment for rioting.
- Section-148. Rioting, armed with deadly weapon.
- Section-149. Every member of unlawful assembly guilty of offence committed in prosecution of common object.
- Section-150. Hiring, or conniving at hiring, of persons to join unlawful assembly.
- Section-151. Knowingly joining or continuing in assembly of five or more persons after it has been commanded to disperse.
- Section-152. Assaulting or obstructing public servant when suppressing riot, etc.-
- Section-153. Wantonly giving provocation with intent to cause riot–if rioting be committed–if not committed.
- Section-153A.Promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, race, place of birth, residence, language, etc., and doing acts prejudicial to maintenance of harmony.
- Section-153AA. Punishment for knowingly carrying arms in any procession or organizing or holding or taking part in any mass drill or mass training with arms.
- Section-153B. Imputations, assertions prejudicial to national-integration.
- Section-154. Owner or occupier of land on which an unlawful assembly is held.
- Section-155. Liability of person for whose benefit riot is committed.
- Section-156. Liability of agent of owner or occupier for whose benefit riot is committed.
- Section-159. Affray.
- Section-160. Punishment for committing affray.
Chapter IX: Of Offences BY Or Relating To Public Servants
- Section-166. Public servant disobeying law, with intent to cause injury to any person.
- Section-167. Public servant framing an incorrect document with intent to cause injury.
- Section-168. Public servant unlawfully engaging in trade.
- Section-170. Personating a public servant.
CHAPTER IXA : OF OFFENCES RELATING TO ELECTIONS
- Section-171C. Undue influence at elections.
- Section-171G. False statement in connection with an election.
- Section-171I. Failure to keep election accounts.
CHAPTER X : OF CONTEMPTS OF THE LAWFUL AUTHORITY OF PUBLIC SERVANTS
- Section-172. Absconding to avoid service of summons or other proceeding.
- Section-174. Non-attendance in obedience to an order from public servant.
- Section-174A. Non- appearance in response to a proclamation under section 82 of Act 2 of 1974.
- Section-177. Furnishing false information.
- Section-184. Obstructing sale of property offered for sale by authority of public servant.
- Section-186. Obstructing public servant in discharge of public functions.
- Section-188. Disobedience to order duly promulgated by public servant.
- Section-189. Threat of injury to public servant.
CHAPTER XI : OF FALSE EVIDENCE AND OFFENCES AGAINST PUBLIC JUSTICE
- Section-191. Giving false evidence.
- Section-192. Fabricating false evidence.
- Section-193. Punishment for false evidence.
- Section-195A. Threatening or inducing any person to give false evidence.
- Section-196. Using evidence known to be false.
- Section-197. Issuing or signing false certificate.
- Section-198. Using as true a certificate known to be false.
- Section-201. Causing disappearance of evidence of offence, or giving false information to screen offender.
- Section-209. Dishonestly making false claim in Court.
- Section-210. Fraudulently obtaining decree for sum not due.
- Section-212. Harbouring offender.
- Section-216. Harbouring offender who has escaped from custody or whose apprehension has been ordered.
- Section-224. Resistance or obstruction by a person to his lawful apprehension.
- Section-228. Intentional insult or interruption to public servant sitting in judicial proceeding.
- Section-229A. Failure by person released on bail or bond to appear in Court.
CHAPTER XII : OF OFFENCES RELATING TO COIN AND GOVERNMENT STAMPS
- Section-232. Counterfeiting Indian coin.
- Section-235. Possession of instrument or material for the purpose of using the same for counterfeiting coin.
- Section-237. Import or export of counterfeit coin.
- Section-238. Import or export of counterfeits of the Indian coin.
- Section-255. Counterfeiting Government stamp.
- Section-258. Sale of counterfeit Government stamp.
- Section-263A. Prohibition of fictitious stamps.
CHAPTER XIII : OF OFFENCES RELATING TO WEIGHTS AND MEASURES
- Section-267. Making or selling false weight or measure.
CHAPTER XIV : OF OFFENCES AFFECTING THE PUBLIC HEALTH, SAFETY, CONVENIENCE, DECENCY AND MORALS
- Section-268. Public nuisance.
- Section-273. Sale of noxious food or drink.
- Section-275. Sale of adulterated drugs.
- Section-278. Making atmosphere noxious to health.
- Section-279. Rash driving or riding on a public way.
- Section-290. Punishment for public nuisance in cases not otherwise provided for.
- Section-291. Continuance of nuisance after injunction to discontinue.
- Section-292. Sale, etc., of obscene books, etc.
- Section-294A. Keeping lottery office.
CHAPTER XV : OF OFFENCES RELATING TO RELIGION
- Section-295. Injuring or defiling place of worship with intent to insult the religion of any class.
- Section-295A. Deliberate and malicious acts, intended to outrage religious feelings of any class by insulting its religion or religious beliefs.
- Section-296. Disturbing religious assembly.
- Section-297. Trespassing on burial places, etc.
- Section-298. Uttering, words, etc., with deliberate intent to wound the religious feelings of any person.
Chapter XVI: Of Offences Affecting The Human Body Of Offences Affecting Life
- Section-300. Murder
- Section-302. Punishment for murder.
- Section-304. Punishment for culpable homicide not amounting to murder.
- Section-304A. Causing death by negligence.
- Section-304B. Dowry death.
- Section-306. Abetment of suicide.
- Section-307. Attempt to murder.
Of The Causing Of Miscarriage, Of Injuries To Unborn Children, Of The Exposure Of Infants, And Of The Concealment Of Births
- Section-313. Causing miscarriage without woman’s consent.
- Section-319. Hurt.
- Section-320. Grievous hurt.
- Section-323. Punishment for voluntarily causing hurt.
- Section-324. Voluntarily causing hurt by dangerous weapons or means.
- Section-325. Punishment for voluntarily causing grievous hurt.
- Section-326. Voluntarily causing grievous hurt by dangerous weapons or means.
- Section-333. Voluntarily causing grievous hurt to deter public servant from his duty.
- Section-336. Act endangering life or personal safety of others.
- Section-338. Causing grievous hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others.
Of Wrongful Restraint & Wrongful Confinement
- Section-339. Wrongful restraint.
- Section-340. Wrongful confinement.
- Section-341. Punishment for wrongful restraint.
- Section-345. Wrongful confinement of person for whose liberation writ has been issued.
- Section-346. Wrongful confinement in secret.
Of Criminal Force & Assault
- Section-349. Force.
- Section-350. Criminal force.
- Section-351. Assault.
- Section-352. Punishment for assault or criminal force otherwise than on grave provocation.
- Section-353. Assault or criminal force to deter public servant form discharge of his duty.
- Section-354. Assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty.
- Section-356. Assault or criminal force in attempt to commit theft of property carried by a person.
Of Kidnapping, Abduction, Slavery And Forced Labour
- Section-359. Kidnapping.
- Section-361. Kidnapping from lawful guardianship.
- Section-362. Abduction.
- Section-363. Punishment for kidnapping.
- Section-364. Kidnapping or abducting in order to murder.
- Section-364A. Kidnapping for ransom, etc.
- Section-366. Kidnapping, abducting or inducing woman to compel her marriage, etc.
- Section-366B. Importation of girl from foreign country.
- Section-367. Kidnapping or abducting in order to subject person to grievous hurt, slavery, etc.
- Section-372. Selling minor for purposes of prostitution, etc.
- Section-373. Buying minor for purposes of prostitution, etc.
- Section-376. Punishment for rape.
- Section-376A. Intercourse by a man with his wife during separation.
- Section-376B. Intercourse by public servant with woman in his custody.
- Section-376C. Intercourse by superintendent of jail, remand home, etc.
- Section-376D. Intercourse by any member of the management or staff of a hospital with any woman in that hospital.
Of Unnatural Offences
- Section-377. Of Unnatural Offences : Unnatural offences.
CHAPTER XVII : OF OFFENCES AGAINST PROPERTY
- Section-379. Punishment for theft.
- Section-380. Theft in dwelling house, etc.
- Section-381. Theft by clerk or servant of property in possession of master.
- Section-382. Theft after preparation made for causing death, hurt or restraint in order to the committing of the theft.
- Section-383. Extortion.
- Section-384. Punishment for extortion.
- Section-365. Putting person in fear of injury in order to commit extortion.
- Section-386. Extortion by putting a person in fear of death or grievous hurt.
- Section-387. Putting person in fear of death or of grievous hurt, in order to commit extortion.
- Section-388. Extortion by threat of accusation of an offence punishable with death or imprisonment for life, etc.
- Section-389. Putting person in fear of accusation of offence, in order to commit extortion.
- Section-390. Robbery.
- Section-391. Dacoity.
- Section-392. Punishment for robbery.
- Section-393. Attempt to commit robbery.
- Section-394. Voluntarily causing hurt in committing robbery.
- Section-396. Dacoity with murder.
- Section-403. Dishonest misappropriation of property.
- Section-406. Punishment for criminal breach of trust.
- Section-408. Criminal breach of trust by clerk or servant.
- Section-409. Criminal breach of trust by public servant, or by banker, merchant or agent.
- Section-410. Stolen Property.
- Section-411. Dishonestly receiving stolen property.
- Section-412. Dishonestly receiving property stolen in the commission of a dacoity.
- Section-413. Habitually dealing in stolen property.
- Section-415. Cheating.
- Section-416. Cheating by personation.
- Section-417. Punishment for cheating.
- Section-418. Cheating with knowledge that wrongful loss may ensue to person whose interest offender is bound to protect.
- Section-419. Punishment for cheating by personation.
- Section-420. Cheating and dishonestly inducing delivery of property.
- Section-425. Mischief.
- Section-426. Punishment for mischief.
- Section-441. Criminal trespass.
- Section-442. House trespass.
- Section-443. Lurking house-trespass.
- Section-444. Lurking house-trespass by night.
- Section-446. House-breaking by night.
- Section-447. Punishment for criminal trespass.
- Section-448. Punishment for house-trespass
CHAPTER XVIII : OF OFFENCES RELATING TO DOCUMENTS AND TO PROPERTY MARKS
- Section-463. Forgery.
- Section-464. Making a false document.
- Section-465. Punishment For forgery.
- Section-466. Forgery of record of Court or of public register, etc.
- Section-467. Forgery of valuable security, will, etc.
- Section-468. Forgery for purpose of cheating.
- Section-469. Forgery for purpose of harming reputation.
- Section-471. Using as genuine a forged document or electronic record.
- Section-475. Counterfeiting device or mark used for authenticating documents described in section 467, or possessing counterfeit marked material.
- Section-477. Fraudulent cancellation, destruction, etc., of will, authority to adopt, or valuable security.
- Section-477A. Falsification of accounts.
- Section-479. Property mark.
- Section-482. Punishment for using a false property mark.
- Section-484. Counterfeiting a mark used by a public servant.
- Section-486. Selling goods marked with a counterfeit property mark.
- Section-489A. Counterfeiting currency notes or bank-notes.
- Section-489C. Possession of forged or counterfeit currency notes or bank-notes.
CHAPTER XX: OF OFFENCES RELATING TO MARRIAGE
- Section-493. Cohabitation caused by a man deceitfully inducing a belief of lawful marriage.
- Section-494. Marrying again during lifetime of husband or wife.
- Section-495. Same offence with concealment of former marriage from person with whom subsequent marriage is contracted.
- Section-496. Marriage ceremony fraudulently gone through without lawful marriage.
- Section-497. Adultery.
- Section-498. Enticing or taking away or detaining with criminal intent a married woman.
CHAPTER XX-A : OF CRUELTY BY HUSBAND OR RELATIVES OF HUSBAND
- Section-498A. Husband or relative of husband of a woman subjecting her to cruelty.
CHAPTER XXI : OF DEFAMATION
- Section-499. Defamation.
- Section-500. Punishment for defamation.
- Section-501. Printing or engraving matter known to be defamatory.
- Section-502. Sale of printed or engraved substance containing defamatory matter.
CHAPTER XXII: OF CRIMINAL INTIMIDATION, INSULT AND ANNOYANCE
- Section-503. Criminal intimidation.
- Section-504. Intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of the peace.
- Section-505. Statements conducing to public mischief.
- Section-506. Punishment for criminal intimidation.
- Section-508. Act caused by inducing person to believe that he will be rendered an object of the Divine displeasure.
- Section-510. Misconduct in public by a drunken person.
CHAPTER XIII : OF ATTEMPTS TO COMMIT OFFENCES
- Section-511. Punishment for attempting to commit offences punishable with imprisonment for life or other imprisonment.